Texas Defensive Driving Course Overview
I Drive Safely offers two versions of our Texas defensive driving course: one to dismiss a ticket, and one for an insurance discount. Be sure to follow the steps for the version of the course you’ll be completing!
Steps to Dismiss a Traffic Ticket:
- 1. Contact your court and request permission to take a defensive driving course. You have until the appearance date on your citation to request permission.
- 2. Enroll in and complete your TDLR-approved defensive driving course.
- 3. After you’ve completed your course, you’ll need to mail or turn in your certificate of course completion and a driver record to your court.
- 4. Once you have submitted your completion certificate, the court will notify you when your dismissal has been processed. Check your driving record to be sure that your Texas defensive driving course shows up!
Steps to get an Insurance Discount using Defensive Driving:
- 1. Contact your insurance provider to see if you are eligible for a discount for taking a defensive driving course.
- 2. Enroll in and complete our Texas defensive driving course.
- 3. Once you’ve completed the course, you’ll simply need to submit your completion certificate to your insurance provider, who will then process it and apply the discount to your premium.