Getting Your License

What do I need to do to get my Georgia drivers license?

How do I complete my Behind the Wheel hours?

Does my parents or legal guardian need to be present when I take my drivers license test?

 What is ADAP?

What other forms or documents will I need to get my Georgia drivers license?



What do I need to do to get my Georgia drivers license?

You’ll need to pass a vision test, as well as a driving test. Due to long walk-in wait times, appointments for on-the-road tests are highly recommended and may be scheduled up to 90 days in advance. Reservation numbers are: (678) 413-8400 (select option 4), or call Toll-free (866) 754-3687 if dialing from an area code outside the metro-Atlanta area, but within Georgia.



How do I complete my Behind the Wheel hours?

You have two options when it comes to completing your behind the wheel hours.


Option 1:

  • ● Complete 6 hours with a private Behind the Wheel school
  • ● Complete 40 hours of supervised driving, 6 of which must be at night.


Option 2:

  • ● Use the state’s 40-hour Parent/Teen Driving Guide, 6 hours must be at night. 
  • ● Here is a link to the guide


Whatever option you choose, no behind the wheel logs will be required. You’ll simply need to sign an affidavit at the DDS. You may begin completing your behind the wheel hours as soon as you get your permit! 



Does my parents or legal guardian need to be present when I take my drivers license test?

Yes, a parent or legal guardian must sign your drivers license application with you as well as an affidavit that the applicant has completed at least 40 hours of on-the-road driving experience, including at least 6 hours of night driving, with a parent or guardian. Your parent/guardian must also present the completed parent/teen driving guide. The last page of this guide may be signed and notarized prior to the teen’s road test, or the parent/guardian may wait to sign in the presence of the DDS examiner, who will notarize the form.



What is ADAP?

The ADAP course is a 4-hour Alcohol and Drug Awareness Program which is required for any student under 18 looking to get a license. Most students take it in school during freshman year as part of health, PE, or ROTC class.  After completing the course, your instructor will give you a Certificate of Completion. Take good care of this because you will need it when you apply for a license!


If you have not taken this course yet and attend a public/private school, you have two options for completing it.

  1. 1. You can attend make-up ADAP class taught by a DDS certified instructor at several locations around the state. You can find locations and times for a makeup ADAP course here.


  1. 2. You can complete the eADAP course. This is an online version of the Alcohol and Drug Awareness Program that is intended only for qualifying teens that are unable to take the classroom ADAP course through their public or private high school.


To qualify for the eADAP course, you must meet the following conditions:

  1. 1. Be home-schooled
  2. 2. Be a new student that missed the classroom ADAP course
  3. 3. Be a student that didn’t pass the classroom ADAP course
  4. 4. Have scheduling conflicts (i.e. band, ROTC, athletics)
  5. 5. Turn 16 the semester prior to the classroom ADAP course being offered


If you meet these qualifications, you can register for the eADAP course here. After registering, you’ll receive a username and password by email (be sure to check you spam or junk folder!) Once you receive the username and password, you have 30 days to complete the course. At the end of the course you will be able to print your certificate. Be sure to hang on to it, as you’ll need it for when you apply for your license.



What other forms or documents will I need to get my Georgia drivers license?

In addition to the certificate of completion form from our online drivers ed course, you will also need to bring:

  • ● A Georgia DDS certificate of attendance form signed and notarized from your school. It is only valid for 30 days. All applicants under the age of 18 not enrolled in school must provide a GED diploma, high school diploma, or an attendance form from your local Board of Education if you are enrolled in an approved home school program.


  • ● Your Alcohol and Drug Awareness Program (ADAP) card.


  • ● An original U.S. birth certificate, certified copy of the U.S. birth certificate (with embossed state seal), U.S. certificate of birth registration, certified copy of court records (for adoption, name changes, etc.), certified naturalization records, immigration card. Hospital issued birth certificates are not acceptable.


  • ● Non-U.S. citizens must present original, non-expired immigration documents.


  • ● Applicants must know their Social Security number, but the original Social Security card is not required. An online verification (first name, last name, date of birth and Social Security number) with the Social Security records system is completed prior to issuing the permit. Non-citizens may present a Social Security Denial Letter, Form SSA L676 in place of a Social Security number.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful

Articles in this section

Looking for more Certificate help?
Click to go to our Certificates section!
Looking for Account Help & Troubleshooting?
Check out our Account Help section for help with feature navigation and troubleshooting.
Our support operating hours:
🟢M/W/F : 8:30 AM to 5 PM CST* 🟢 T/Th : 8:30 AM to 3 PM CST* 🟡 Saturday : 9 AM to 12:30 PM CST 🛑 Sunday: Closed 🛑*Closed weekdays from 12 – 1 PM CST 🟢 CA Traffic Violator School Business Hours: Weekdays: 9am to 4pm PT
Ready to take your course?
Click through to purchase the course that's right for you!