The Colorado DMV requires all students to pre-register their personal information with the State of Colorado before completing their driver education course. This allows you to confirm which documents you will bring to the DMV on test day. Likewise, it makes the processes of how you obtain your license more efficient.
If you already have a permit confirmation number, please enter it in the corresponding field on your “My Account” page. If you do not have it yet, please follow the directions below to obtain one. You must enter it prior to completing your course. Please follow the steps to obtain this permit confirmation number -
- Go to mydmv.colorado.gov.
- Click "Apply for a driver license/ID", then, under Instructions, click "Next".
- Under Date of Birth, the system will ask “You may already have a record in our system if you have ever lived, received a citation or been involved in an accident in Colorado. Do any of these situations apply to you?” Select "No" if this does not apply to you.
- Type in your date of birth, and then click "Next".
- Under Application Information, choose "Instruction Permit" then click "Next".
- Under Driver Information, enter your complete name and residential or home address. Before clicking "Next", please "Verify" the address.
- Confirm if your mailing address is different from the residential or home address, then click "Next".
- Click "Yes" or "No" if you have an out-of-state driver license or permit.
- You may also opt to add an emergency contact.
- Provide your demographic information as required.
- The system will ask the documents you will bring at the DMV on the test day. Confirm your residency or citizenship.
- Select one of the documents shown that contain your full middle name. If any of these documents does not contain your full middle name, check the box below the list of the documents.
- From the drop-down menu, select which document you will bring at the DMV to validate the social security number and click “Next”.
- Select two different documents you will present to validate the residential or home address and click “Next”.
- Review the documents selected to validate the information before clicking "Next".
- Choose whether or not you would like to receive an electronic reminder 45 days before your ID or license expires and click “Next”.
- Key in your email address to receive an electronic copy of the confirmation letter. We suggest reviewing the accuracy of all the information entered before clicking "Submit". You may click "Previous" to get to the previous tabs.
- After submitting the correct information, the permit confirmation number will be shown. Enter this confirmation number in the appropriate field on “My Account” page. You may proceed towards completing the registration of the course.