To apply for a permit, you must:
- Be at least 15½ years old.
- Present proof of identity (name and date of birth) and Social Security number if a number has been issued for you.
- Fill out both a driver license application and a Minor Affidavit and Information sheet (these documents can either be notarized or signed at the DMV office).
- Take our certificate of completion form with you.
- Go to the DMV office (make an appointment for faster service) to apply for your permit.
- Pay the application fee.
- Pass a vision exam (The minimum level of acceptable vision is 20/40 in one eye. If a driver must wear glasses or contact lenses to meet this standard, "Restriction A" will be placed on his license or permit.)
- Pass a written knowledge test consisting of 50 multiple-choice questions. A passing score is 80%.
- Be issued the interim license which will allow you to drive legally until you receive the actual permit in the mail, usually within 10 business days
You’ll also need a parent or legal guardian with you to give consent when you apply.