If you are being ordered by the DMV to complete a defensive driving course, you will receive notice in the mail mandating that you attend. Similarly, if you are being ordered by the court to complete a driver improvement course, you will receive referral at your court date.
If you need court permission to reduce points or fines/fees with a defensive driving course, you can contact your court before your court date to request permission to do so. Generally, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must hold a valid non-commercial Virginia drivers license.
- You have been cited for a minor moving violation.
- You do not have any outstanding violations on your record, and your license has not been suspended or revoked.
- You are aged 20 years or older.
- If you still are unclear as to whether you qualify for traffic school, contact your court and request more information concerning your particular circumstances.