If you are applying for your first Texas driver license, you must follow these steps:
- Visit your local Texas DPS location.
- Provide appropriate documents to verify the following: identity, Texas residency, U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status, and Social Security number. For details on which documents are acceptable, visit the Texas DPS website.
- Complete the "Application for Texas Driver License or Identification Card" form.
Supply either of these two options:
- Proof of Texas vehicle registration (if you are a new Texas resident) and proof of financial responsibility for each vehicle you own.
- A statement that affirms that you do not own a motor vehicle.
- Pay the required fees.
- Pass both a knowledge test and a driving test (unless you are exempt).
- Keep in mind that all applicants under the age of 25 in Texas must pass a driver education course and complete the DPS ITYD course before they may apply for their first driver's license.