First and foremost, you must be at least 16 years of age and have held your learner’s license for a minimum of 6 months before you can take your driving exam and get your first-time drivers license. When you're ready, make sure to bring the following documents with you to the DPS:
- Your learners license
- Your I Drive Safely course completion certificate - This must be signed by your instructor of record, the school director, and your parent or guardian.
- You ITTD course completion certificate
- Proof of identity, Social Security number, U.S. citizenship/lawful presence status, and Texas residency
- Verification of Enrollment and Attendance (VOE) form
- Your vehicle's proof of registration and insurance
- $16 provisional license fee
You will need to complete an application for a drivers license and pass a driving skills exam. After you have passed your driving skills exam, you will be issued your provisional drivers license! Congratulations!