The instructor can be a parent, stepparent, grandparent, step-grandparent, foster parent, or legal guardian and must meet the following requirements:
- Must have a valid Texas drivers license for the last three years. Active U.S. military personnel and their spouse may participate as instructors if they hold a valid license from their state of permanent residence or last duty station for the preceding three years.
- The instructor must have fewer than 6 points on his or her driving record.
- Cannot have a conviction (including a probated sentence) of criminally negligent homicide or driving while intoxicated.
- Must have a license that has not been suspended, revoked, or forfeited in the past three years for traffic–related violations.
- May not be disabled due to mental illness. Questions as to mental stability will be forwarded to the Medical Advisory Board for determination.
- The instructor should verify they have a driving record in good standing. Order a copy of you Driving Record to confirm eligibility to be an instructor.