If you are applying for your first Illinois drivers license, you must follow these steps:
- Visit your local Driver Services Facility.
- Provide appropriate documents to verify the following: identity, Illinois residency, U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status, and Social Security number. For details on which documents are acceptable, visit the Illinois SOS website.
- Complete the Application for Illinois Driver License or Identification Card.
- Surrender all valid out-of-state licenses, state ID cards, permits, or commercial drivers license.
- Pay the required fees.
- Pass a vision exam, written test, and a driving test.